14 Jul What is a Business Consultant?
This post was written and published by our Summer 2017 Intern, Mallory Corbin, a student at Aquinas College in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
A business consultant is an expert in their field. They know the ins and outs of all things business and they know how to help you and your business succeed. With a business consultant, you will create a business partnership that will ultimately lead to exponential growth and development for your business. Business consultants can have varying involvement in your business, that of which is totally dependant on your needs and wants as the business owner. These business professionals are highly experienced and can bring exponential benefits to you and your business that may totally change how you do business.
The Benefits of Hiring a Business Consultant
- They will market. Both in traditional and non-traditional settings, a business consultant will help you market your business to the appropriate audience. This can range from traditional advertising work, to social media marketing campaigns, to much much more. Depending on your business, your marketing needs may vary, these needs can be recognized and met by your consultant.
- They will network. It is your business consultant’s job to know people in the business world. As they have consulted and worked with many businesses before you, they can provide a network of businesses that you may be able to connect with. These kind of connections can hugely impact your business.
- They will strategize. A lot of unexpected problems may occur throughout the life of your business. Your business consultant will help you plan and strategize in order to find the most effective business plan for you. This plan can be used as a roadmap for you and your consultant to return back to whenever any problems arise.
- They will plan and set goals. Project planning and goal setting will be a huge part of your business consultant’s job. They may work with you or solo to create a timeline for a certain project or goal that you and your business may be working toward.
- They will do the work for you. Sometimes there are certain projects or business ventures that are too big for you to handle, and that is okay. It is very common that a business consultant will do the work you cannot, and join on your team as more of a subcontractor than an advisor. They may be the ones to thank for closing that big sale or finishing that dubious project you thought would never get finished.
- They will make decisions. When it comes to decision making, some situations can be nearly impossible. Thankfully, your business consultant can be there to either guide you to the correct decision, or make the correct decision so that you don’t have to.
The Business Machine
In our post about business coaches, we talked about how a business coach works with you to create your perfect business machine. A business consultant does similar work. However, rather than being on the side-lines, like the business coach, a business consultant is taking the co-pilot seat right next to you inside your machine, guiding you and occasionally taking control of the wheel. Unlike a coach, a consultant pulls their weight and works alongside you as a teammate. They may even be in charge of their own sector of the machine, which you have designated for them to be responsible for.
A co-pilot is not absolutely necessary for every machine, just as a business consultant is not imperative for every business. However, a consultant could make the difference between smooth sailing with your successful business and making a huge error that effectively totals your business machine.
Is it Worth the Investment?
Before you can experience all of these benefits and more, there is one decision you will have to make on your own: whether you will invest in a business consultant.
A consultant can totally transform the way you do business. They can be similar to a business coach, and work as your business mentor. They may also provide advice and guidance for you and your business. They may be minimally involved, or totally immersed in your work; additionally, they may perform any number of important tasks. Their work can include making up a game plan for you to follow, along with networking and marketing for your business. Additionally, they may take work into their own hands and work as a subcontractor for your business.
With the help of the right kind of business consultant, which can vary depending on your business’ needs, you will see your business grow and prosper exponentially.
Image Copyright: <a href=’https://www.123rf.com/profile_peshkova’>peshkova / 123RF Stock Photo</a>